- Sir Ben Ainslie said the decision was “the toughest” of his sporting career
- Two-time Olympic Gold medallist Giles Scott MBE will take over as Driver of Emirates GBR SailGP Team from Ainslie with immediate effect
- Scott will take the helm of the Emirates GBR F50 foiling race boat at the Mubadala Abu Dhabi Sail Grand Prix on 13-14 January
- Ainslie will continue as Emirates GBR CEO to focus on the Team’s overall performance on and off the water
- Ainslie and Scott will race together in the 37th America’s Cup for INEOS Britannia, starting in August 2024
Sir Ben Ainslie has announced he is stepping down as Driver of the Emirates Great Britain SailGP Team. Ainslie will continue his role as CEO of Emirates GBR but will hand over the wheel to double Olympic Gold medallist and America’s Cup teammate Giles Scott MBE. Speaking after his final SailGP Event as Driver in Dubai, Ainslie said it was “time for the next generation to come through”.
Read the full story on Emirates GBR’s website here.