KPMG AUSTRALIA SAIL GRAND PRIX | SYDNEY
THURSDAY 16 FEBRUARY - SUNDAY 19 FEBRUARY, 2023
INFORMATION FOR PUBLIC BOATERS
SailGP, the world’s most exciting racing on water, returns to Sydney for the second event of 2023.
SAFETY ON THE HARBOUR
|Free Practice Day||Official Practice Day||Race Day 1||Race Day 2|
|Thursday 16 February||Friday 17 February||Saturday 18 February||Sunday 19 February|
|No public exclusion zone||Public exclusion zone active 1-3pm||Public exclusion zone active 3-6pm||Public exclusion zone active 3-6pm|
Over the weekend you will see the nine international SailGP teams and their F50 foiling catamarans on Sydney Harbour training and racing. One of the fastest sailing boats in the world, these impressive vessels measure 50 feet/15 metres in length and can travel at speeds of up to 100 km per hour.
To ensure the safety of all boaters and sailors if you encounter the F50s on the water, please be aware of the following:
- Review the daily race course map. This will be available on this page on the morning of both race days.
- Avoid getting too close by boat whilst the F50s are sailing.
- F50s move quickly so always check behind you before making a sudden change in direction.
- Keep an eye out for other marine traffic whilst the F50s are training without an exclusion. There are no boundaries or race marshals to guide boaters.
- Up to nine F50s may be on the harbour at any one time.
The daily race course map indicates the public exclusion zone for the day; only official SailGP spectator and charter boats are permitted inside this area.
Public boaters are permitted to stop on the perimeter of the exclusion zones in the areas marked in blue on the map labelled ‘public boaters.
During the public exclusion zone times (see above) please be aware of the following in the transit channels around the zone.
- 6 knot speed limit.
- No stopping permitted.
- No anchoring permitted.
On Saturday and Sunday the SailGP racing takes place from approximately 4-5:30pm with the public exclusion zone active 3-6pm.
WHAT'S HAPPENING BEFORE THE RACING
Each day before the F50s race, aspiring young WASZP sailors will be racing on the SailGP racecourse as part of the SailGP Inspire Racing program.
FOLLOW THE RACING
- Channel 7 - 7mate & 7plus
- Fox Sports
- Kayo Sports & Kayo Freebie
- SailGP App
- Live race commentary on VHF 20
- Please turn squelch all the way down to improve sound quality of the VHF commentary
The SailGP App is your inside track to the world’s fastest on-water racing. Every wave, turn and manoeuvre – blow by blow, at your control. Fully configurable - pull the data and stats you want and watch SailGP your way. Your ultimate race companion. Download the SailGP App today from the Apple App Store or from the Google Play Store.
- Live data
- Video and race stats side-by-side
- Change viewing angle and zoom in on the action
- Live leaderboard
- Fully customizable – switch teams, change camera angles and select data feeds
- Switch off spoilers for fans across multiple time zones
- Instructional tooltips – answers at your fingertips
SAILGP FANSHOP AT THE SAILGP EVENT VILLAGE AT BARANGAROO
Purchase League and Team merchandise including Australia SailGP Team must-haves like replica caps, limited edition t-shirts and much, much more.
The KPMG Australia Sail Grand Prix I Sydney is bringing together a large fleet of spectators during the event. SailGP is fighting for a better future, using energy from nature. Sydney Harbour is our racing area and we are sensitive to its protection and to the preservation of marine life specific to its waters. Help us preserve the flora and fauna: beneath the bustling water traffic lives an incredible wealth of marine life, including more than 580 fish species, migrating whales, dolphins, penguins and kelp forests with seahorses and sea dragons. Think about your own impact on the local environment and help us protect the magnificent waters of Sydney Harbour.